University of Washington, Seattle, WA
(2020 – current)
Communications for the eScience Institute at the University of Washington, a hub of data-intensive scientific research that is a part of the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering.
A weekly email newsletter to the academic data science community about upcoming events, publications, seminars and workshops at the University – archived online here.
The Museum of Flight, Seattle, WA
(2015 – 2020)
Communications for The Museum of Flight, including nonprofit fundraising, STEM education and aerospace history.
Author and copyeditor for The Museum of Flight’s bi-monthly member magazine to support projects like fundraising campaigns, donor recognition, interviews, STEM education and exhibit openings.
- Volume 42, No. 4 (Jul/Aug 2020)
- Volume 42, No. 3 (May/Jun 2020)
- Volume 42, No. 2 (Mar/Apr 2020)
- Volume 42, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2020)
- Volume 41, No. 6 (Nov/Dec 2019)
- “Curating Curiosity with New Curator Matthew Burchette” feature article
- Volume 41, No. 5 (Sep/Oct 2019)
- “There’s More to Life Than Being a Passenger” feature article
- Volume 41, No. 4 (Jul/Aug 2019)
- Volume 41, No. 3 (May/Jun 2019)
- Volume 41, No. 2 (Mar/Apr 2019)
- Volume 41, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2019)
- Volume 40, No. 6 (Nov/Dec 2018)
- Volume 40, No. 5 (Sep/Oct 2018)
- Volume 40, No. 4 (Jul/Aug 2018)
- Volume 40, No. 3 (May/Jun 2018)
- Volume 40, No. 2 (Mar/Apr 2018)
- Volume 40, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2018)
- “Veterans Speak: Memories of Air Combat in the Vietnam War” feature article
- Volume 39, No. 6 (Nov/Dec 2017)
- Volume 39, No. 5 (Sep/Oct 2017)
- Volume 39, No. 4 (Jul/Aug 2017)
- Volume 39, No. 3 (May/Jun 2017)
- Volume 39, No. 2 (Mar/Apr 2017)
- Volume 39, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2017)
- Volume 38, No. 6 (Nov/Dec 2016)
- Volume 38, No. 5 (Sep/Oct 2016)
- Volume 38, No. 4 (Jul/Aug 2016)
- Volume 38, No. 3 (May/Jun 2016)
- Volume 38, No. 2 (Mar/Apr 2016)
- Inspiration Begins Here! Campaign 8-page feature article
- Volume 38, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2016)
- Volume 37, No. 6 (Nov/Dec 2015)
- Volume 37, No. 5 (Sep/Oct 2015)
- Volume 37, No. 4 (Jul/Aug 2015)
Storyboard, direction, soundtrack and messaging for fundraising campaigns. Special thanks to Francis Zera.
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park campaign Thank You video to celebrate the successful completion of the Project Welcome Home campaign (Aug. 2019)
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park construction time lapse video for a new park on the Museum’s campus (Jun. 2019)
- “Bringing Home Our B-52” video of disassembling and transporting the Museum’s B-52 to be the centerpiece in a new Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park (Sep. 2018)
- “Restoring Our Historic B-52” video as part of the Museum’s Project Welcome Home campaign (Nov. 2017)
- Inspiration Begins Here! Campaign Thank You video to celebrate the successful completion of the Inspiration Begins Here! Campaign (Apr. 2017)
- Aeronautical Science Pathways video to promote a new education program (Sep. 2016)
- B-29 restoration and unveiling video for exhibit opening (Jul. 2016)
- Aviation Pavilion construction time lapse video for a new building on the Museum campus (Jun. 2016)
- “Something Big is Coming” video for the Inspiration Begins Here! Campaign community gifts phase (Mar. 2016)
Campaign Newsletters and Websites
Keeping donors and community stakeholders engaged and updated throughout multi-year fundraising campaigns.
Project Welcome Home, the campaign to restore a veteran B-52G Stratofortress and install it in a new Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park at The Museum of Flight (2017 – 2019). View the campaign website here.
- A Final Thank You
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
Inspiration Begins Here! Campaign, the comprehensive campaign to build the new Aviation Pavilion, expand our educational programs, create new exhibits and upgrade our facilities to improve visitor experience (2015 – 2016).
Content writing and copyediting the Museum’s annual shareholder report to donors.
Freelance Writing, Editing and PR
(2014 – 2017)
- Materials Matter with the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Seattle (Oct. 2016-Feb. 2017)
- Getting to Zero with AIA Seattle (Jun. 2015)
- Press package for the CD release party of Seattle band Kings of Cavalier (Apr. 2015)
- Website, social media and RFP editing for Bonfire Art and Design (Jan. 2015)
- Website copy for the 8-Bit Weather mobile app (Dec. 2014)
- PR for the Phoenix Festival, a benefit event for local wildfire relief hosted by TwispWorks in Twisp, Washington (Oct. 2014)
- AIA Seattle Design Festival event review (Sep. 2014)
Technical Writing certification
(2013 – 2015)
Projects completed as part of my Technical Writing studies at Bellevue College.
- Website maintenance manual for Bonfire Art and Design
- User guide for a mobile app prototype
- Usability test website to measure how intuitive WordPress is for new users
- Style guide for standardizing the KEXP Music Matters newsletter
KEXP 90.3 FM, Seattle, WA
Writer and editor for a nonprofit listener-powered radio station.
- Whipped Cream and Other Delights (Nov. 2013)
- Make Your Mark and Help Build KEXP’s New Home! (Nov. 2013)
- 2012 Annual Shareholders Report (Oct. 2013)
- Breaking New Ground Together: the Campaign for KEXP’s New Home (Jul. 2013)
- Amplifier Love Week 2013 (Jun. 2013)
- Capitol Hill Block Party Flyaway 2013 (Jun. 2013)
- Civic Pride: The Fabulous Sounds of the Pacific Northwest (May 2013)
Music Matters Newsletters
Author and editor of KEXP’s monthly donor newsletter.
- Music Matters: A Year of Great Music (Dec. 2013)
- Music Matters: Gratitude, Gravy and Great Music (Nov. 2013)
- Music Matters: “Rock & Roll” Saves Lives (Oct. 2013)
- Music Matters: You Made This a September to Remember! (Sep. 2013)
- Music Matters: Vote for the Top Albums of the 21st Century! (Aug. 2013)
- Music Matters: You Make Summer Sizzle (Jul. 2013)
- Music Matters: You Make Summer Sound Sweeter (Jun. 2013)
- Music Matters: Iceland, Amplifiers, and Twelve Hours of Awesome! (May 2013)
- Music Matters: Better Sounds for a Better World (Apr. 2013)
Ghostwriter for Angela Bennink of NoaNet, a wholesale broadband provider in Washington, for an article in an online trade publication for telecom networks (formerly OSE Magazine).
- Over the Rivers and Through the Woods: How a Non-Profit Telecom Company Connected Rural Washington State with Fiber (Sep. 2013)
Glumac Engineering, Portland, OR
(2010 – 2011)
Communications Director for the Portland office of a sustainable Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) engineering and energy analysis company.
Sustainability Matters Newsletter
Writer, editor and photographer for the quarterly email publication sent out to contractors, architects and other professionals in the green building industry.
- Issue 27 (Aug. 2011)
- “Susan Szenasy of Metropolis Magazine Visits Portland to Talk Green Building”
- “Charging the Future with Electric Vehicles”
- Issue 26 (May 2011)
- “Glumac Commissions the UCSF Institute for Regeneration Medicine”
- “Glumac Introduces Construcion Services”
- Issue 25 (Feb. 2011)
- Issue 24 (Nov. 2010)
- “Glumac explores Green Building in Toronto”
On-site editor and fact-checker for a book produced by the publishing branch of the International Living Future Institute that produces local and global sustainable design books.
Author for a monthly news publication for environmental management and regulation in the Pacific Northwest.
- Oregon Convention Center: the Convention Center that Challenges Convention, Issue 469 (Sep. 2011)
- The Vancouver, WA Hilton Hotel: Pioneering the Elegant Side of Efficiency, Issue 467 (Jul. 2011)
Sustainable Business Oregon
Author for a publication of the Oregon Business Journal that covers local news and issues at the intersection of business and sustainability.
- Oregon Convention Center: the Convention Center that Challenges Convention (Aug. 2011)
The Zweig Letter
Co-author for a marketing publication for architects, engineers and environmental planning professionals worldwide.
- Green: Under promise and over deliver, Issue 906 (Apr. 2011)
Crosscut.com, Seattle, WA
Writer and photographer for a Pacific Northwest nonprofit online news blog.
- LEED-ing the way to sustainability (Aug. 2008)
- Review: Faith and mental illness on Seattle’s streets (Jul. 2008)
- When it comes to energy consumption, what really drives change? (Jun. 2008)
- Folklife ’08: Seattle folks are the life of the festival (May 2008)
- Vancouver, B.C., loses some ground as a sustainability leader (May 2008)
STIR Magazine, Worcester, MA
(2007 – 2010)
Writer, editor and photographer for the bi-annual student magazine of Clark University.