The first 10 sandwiches of this delicious endeavor featured vegetarian favorites like banh mi with marinated tofu and avocado toast topped with an egg. But it also included new recipes like homemade plant-based sausages with lemongrass, green onions, ginger, and garlic for Laotian khao jee. Let’s continue the sandwich quest in a new region of the world. Includes links to recipes and notes about how to make them vegetarian and vegan.
Part 2 of 3 features 9 sandwiches from Senegal, Israel, the Middle East, the Mediterranean, Greece, England, and Italy.
Want more sandwiches? Read Part 1
11. Senegal: Ndambé bean sandwich – a stew of black eyed peas, onions, chili powder, vinegar, garlic, and tomato paste on a hollowed-out demi baguette (get the recipe here). I used Field Roast instead of beef, and flavored the broth with a Better Than Bouillon base to make it vegan.
12. Israel: Sabich – slices of fried eggplant, chopped hardboiled eggs, hummus, Israeli pickles, tomato parsley salad, and homemade lemon tahini sauce in a pita (get the recipe here). Israeli pickles use lactobacillus fermentation instead of brine, so I used Bubbies kosher dills to get the same flavor. Make it vegan by leaving out the egg, it’s delicious even without it!
13. Middle East: Falafel – homemade chickpea and herb falafel with tomato, red onion, arugula, red pepper hummus, and lemon tahini sauce in a pita (get the recipe here). The perfect vegan sandwich! I used this classic falafel recipe that recommends dried chickpeas soaked overnight. I cooked them in a skillet, although you can also bake them in the oven or deep fry them. For the lemon tahini sauce, I used a recipe from the Power Plates vegan cookbook by Gena Hamshaw, and now I put the sauce on just about everything (see #12 above). This sandwich is already 100% vegan and delicious.
14. Mediterranean: Grilled vegetable sandwich – grilled zucchini, eggplant, and portobello mushrooms on ciabatta with feta cheese, tomatoes, arugula, and garlic lemon aioli (get the recipe here). A great summer sandwich full of grilled vegetables. Make it vegan by substituting the mayo in the spread for a plant-based alternative, such as the lemon tahini sauce from #13 above, and omit the feta.
15. Greece: Greek salad sandwich – fresh salad with greens, cucumber, peperoncini, radishes, tomatoes, red onion, and feta on a pita with homemade red pepper tzatziki sauce (get the recipe here). Instead of roasted red peppers, I used Mama Lil’s spicy peppers to add some kick to the tzatziki. Make it vegan by leaving out the feta cheese, and substituting the Greek yogurt for a non-dairy version.
16. Italy: Mozzarella en carrozza – smoked mozzarella sandwich that is covered in egg, parsley, garlic, and breadcrumbs and then pan fried with homemade marinara dipping sauce (get the recipe here). Make sure to keep the heat low enough to melt the cheese inside while not burning the breadcrumb crust. I used smoked mozzarella instead of fresh. Use a cashew milk mozzarella and substitute the egg wash to make it vegan.
17. Italian-American: Italian meatball sub – homemade vegetarian meatballs of seasoned Impossible Meat and Field Roast Italian sausage, cooked in marinara sauce and served on a hoagie with melted mozzarella and parsley (get the recipe here). I used the marinara sauce from #16 above. You can use vegan parmesan and egg substitute for the meatball binding agents, and melt cashew mozzarella on top of the sandwiches in the final step.
18. & 19. England: Tea sandwiches – two kinds of light tea sandwiches. Egg salad with hard boiled egg, mayo, hot sauce, and a dash of paprika on white bread; and smoked salmon, lemon zest cream cheese, cucumber slices, and fresh chopped dill on pumpernickel (get the recipes here).